Outstanding Scholarship Prize
In 2011, what had been the association's annual book prize was changed to a newly named and reconfigured OUTSTANDING SCHOLARSHIP PRIZE, to better reflect and recognize the variety of work produced by Women's and Gender Studies practitioners, and to respond to issues raised in the judging of this prize. This prize is now awarded to a monograph, an edited collection, or a significant documentary film. Winners of this award receive a $200.00 prize, in addition to travel money (up to a specific amount) for the winner(s) to travel to the WGSRF conference and the Awards ceremony.
The NEW CRITERIA for this prize are as follows:
- Nominations will include monographs, edited collections, or significant documentary films in English or French published/released in the previous year;
- The award will recognize work produced by Canadian scholars/filmmakers, work published or produced by Canadian presses/film production agencies; or work on Canadian topics;
- Nominations can be submitted by publishers/media distributors or by WGSRF members;
- The deadline for nominations will be in the Fall (see the Call for Nominations for details) to encourage nominations from the membership;
- WGSRF members cannot nominate their own publication/documentary film in which they have a financial or other stake;
- In order to be considered, the author/filmmaker must be a WGSRF member in good standing and a member in good standing in the year that the prize is received;
- The assessment criteria will remain the same; i.e. relevance to Women’s and Gender Studies as a discipline; currency of subject matter to debates/developments in the field; quality of style, presentation, research, and methodology; and originality;
- The selection committee will be a peer review process among WGSRF members in good standing;
- At least two members of the WGSRF Outstanding Scholarship Committee must have oral and reading comprehension skills in French;
- The Executive will be charged with developing an electronic form to recognize scholarly achievements of all association members.