Graduate Essay Prize
In 2004, the association introduced a graduate and undergraduate essay competition. The graduate essay competition is open to graduate students in Women’s and Gender Studies graduate courses, Women’s and Gender Studies graduate programs, and Women’s and Gender Studies streams in Interdisciplinary Graduate Programs - with preference given to graduate students in Women’s and Gender Studies graduate programs/courses. Essays are anonymously reviewed by a committee of approximately 3-5 people, and assessed using the following criteria:
- Was a relevant argument set out in the paper? If so, was the argument fully developed throughout the paper?
- Were other studies/reports/research referred to? In other words, was there a detailed analysis conducted on the issue?
- Was this paper unique in some way? Was there any evidence of originality/creativity?
- Was the writing style at an acceptable level? Were there any grammatical errors or spelling errors? Did the paper flow?
- Did I learn something from reading this paper?
- Was this paper relevant to Women’s and Gender Studies?
Winners receive a monetary prize of $100.00, a complimentary one-year membership to the association, and are invited to read their papers during the Awards ceremony at the annual conference (up to $500.00 is available to help defray travel costs). Honorable mention receives a monetary prize of $50.00.