University of British Columbia
Program: The Institute for Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice (GRSJ)
Programs offered: Undergrad Major and Minor program
Another related program: Critical Studies in Sexuality (CSIS)
Program offered: A CSIS Minor
- Description: The Institute for Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice (GRSJ) offers an undergraduate Major and Minor program that incorporates research and theories from the social sciences, humanities, science, education and law, to provide students with an interdisciplinary understanding of global and local social justice issues. Areas of study include: critical race theory, ethnic studies, indigenous studies, media studies, feminist politics and methodologies, health, history and autobiography, international development, literature/film and cultural studies, migration and racialization, gender, sexuality, social justice, social policy and community action.
- Department: Tel: (604) 822- 9171 Email: email@example.com
University of BC- Okanagan
Program name: Gender and Women Studies
Programs offered: BA Major in GWS and Minor in GWS
- Description: Get your UBC degree in gender and women’s studies, which draws from across the humanities, social sciences and cultural studies. This dynamic program allows students to develop integrative and finely-tuned perspectives on how gender and sexuality are central components of everyday life, experiences of embodiment and social recognition, histories of modernity and domination, global social and economic processes, cultural production and systems of representation, and social justice movements. You can complete a Bachelor of Arts (BA) with a major in gender and women’s studies at UBC Okanagan. In your undergraduate program, you may also minor in gender and women’s studies
- Department: Community, Culture and Global Studies: Dr. Susan Frohlick Tel: (250)- 807- 8525 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Northern British Columbia
Program Name: Gender and Women Studies
Programs offered: BA in Women’s Studies, BA in Women’s Studies and English, BA in Women’s Studies and First Nation Studies, BA in Women’s Studies and History, BA in Women’s Studies and Political Science, Minor in Women’s Studies, Graduate Program in Gender Studies, Masters of Arts in Gender studies
· Description: Women’s Studies is an interdisciplinary field dedicated to studying the historical, cultural, literary, and societal role of women and gender. UNBC’s program has strengths in areas such as women’s and gender history; gender, literature, and literary theory; gender, colonialism, and post colonialism; gender and globalization; feminism, justice, and ethics; gender and health; and gender and international studies. The Women’s Studies program offers majors and minors in Women’s Studies and, in cooperation with other programs, four joint majors. At the graduate level, the program offers the Master’s Degree in Gender Studies. Women’s Studies courses examine all aspects of the human past, present, and future through the lens of gender. Thus the Women’s Studies program offers courses that are relevant both globally and at the most profound personal level. A Women’s Studies degree prepares the student to think critically about cross-cultural and trans-historical constructs of gender and, thus, what it means to be human. The breadth of the program makes Women’s Studies an ideal undergraduate degree that inculcates knowledge and skills valuable in many areas of graduate study, employment, and civic and community life. The Women’s Studies program offers students the opportunity to engage with the familiar yet challenging subject of how gender structures and influences our world. Please feel free to contact the program coordinator to discuss how a Women’s Studies degree can help you meet your goals.
· Department: Coordinator Jacqueline Holler Tel: (260) 960- 6343 Email: email@example.com
Simon Fraser University
Program: Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies
Programs Offered: GSW Major, 8 Joint Majors (Major in GSW & Anthropology /Criminology/English/History/Humanities/Political Science/Psychology/Sociology), Minor & Extended Minor, Co-op, and Action Research eXchange (ARX)
- Description: The vision of the Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies is to bring feminist, queer, and intersectional understandings to the analysis of power and how it operates locally and transnationally. We continue to build an interdisciplinary environment that nurtures and promotes critical research and scholarship, engaged teaching, and meaningful community service. We are committed to cultivating innovation, intellectual freedom, social justice activism, diversity, and transformative resistance to inequality.
- Department: Department Chair Lara Campbell Tel: (778) 782- 5526 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Victoria
Program: Gender Studies
Programs Offered: BA Honours, Major, and Minor
- Description: We offer a range of cutting edge courses that explore the role of gender in society, and how it interacts with other forms of difference including Indigenous and racialized identities, class, sexuality, ability, age, etc. You'll gain a unique perspective on the world and your place in it, on how power works and how discrimination and inequalities can be resisted and challenged. Working with our diverse students and interdisciplinary faculty, you'll develop skills that will support your future—as an academic, professional, leader and activist.
- Department: Chair and undergraduate Advisor Laura Parisi Tel: (250) 472- 4277 Email: email@example.com
Vancouver Island University
Program Name: Studies in Women and Gender
Programs Offered: Major and Minor
- Description: Women’s Studies at VIU explores the history, thought and experiences of women from a range of viewpoints using a multi-disciplinary approach. It encourages students to look critically at cultural productions, institutions, ideologies, sexuality and language as ways of examining the historical and contemporary status of women. In addition to gender, specificities of race, class, sexual orientation, age and disability/ability will be addressed as key elements in developing sound critical theories. Particular attention is paid to the history and experiences of First Nations women, both in courses with a uniquely First Nations focus, as well as in the content of other required courses. The program is grounded in feminist theory and teaching/learning styles, and recognizes the value of a participatory classroom where diverse life experiences are included and recognized.
- Department: Chair Janis Ledwell- Hunt Tel: (250) 753- 3245 Email: Janis. Ledwellfirstname.lastname@example.org
Only WGS Courses, no programs offered
University of the Fraser Valley
Only courses offered in Women’s Studies, no programs offered
Program Name: Gender, Sexualities, and Women’s Studies
Program offered: Provincially-recognized two year Associate degree and to specialize in area of GSWS, also a Co-op option
- Description: The Associate of Arts degree with a specialization in Gender, Sexualities and Women's Studies is an interdisciplinary program that offers an intellectually challenging yet safe, collaborative space to explore the concerns of feminism(s) and social justice. In particular, you will learn about both historic and contemporary contributions of women and feminist thought, and will broaden your knowledge of the psychological, sociological, economic and other factors that contribute to gendered inequalities and experiences, including intersections of gender with race, class and sexualities.
- Department: General (605) 527- 5400
Program Name: Women’s studies, only courses offered
- Description: Women’s studies courses provide a unique perspective on the world and your place in it. You will have the opportunity to explore categories such as, gender, class, race and sexual orientation and how these interact with the world around you.
- Department: School Chair of Arts and Science Tracy Punchard Tel: (250) 365- 1318